Friday Fling 12-1:30 Tee Time
Just rock up between 12:00 PM and 1:30 PM each Friday starting 4th October, for 10 holes of golf in our 2019-2020 Winter Swindle friendly competition.
What is a Swindle?
Roll up between the designated times to the WCGC Clubhouse in Camp Road.
- Play the WCGC first 10 holes. See the Course Overview for more info.
- Play off the 10-hole score card with adjusted Stroke Indices relative to those 10 holes.
- Keep track of your points using Stableford scoring.
- No handicap is required. The Swindle Master or Mistress for the day will assign you a 10-hole handicap.
- Green Fee players are welcome! Member and guest entry fees include your Green Fees.
- £10 green fee players & guests; £4 members
Turn in your card at the end and you could win cash prizes. Play each week the swindle is held, if you can. And enjoy an end of season swindle party!
Come and see us at WCGC! Look for Swindle Master Paul Willatts.
Summer Swindle 2019 Ends with Prizegiving and Merriment
Thirty-three competitors took part in the final Summer Swindle on Thursday 5th September 2019. The night's winner was Club Captain Jez Warren who amassed a staggering 27 Stableford points, even more incredible as it was virtually dark when he finished. The joint runners up, Paul Clarke and green fee Jack Edmondson, also had a smile on their faces as they took home £20 each.
The season’s awards followed, where Liam Russell and Club Manager Emma Pope scooped the top golfer’s awards. Green fee champion was James Sanderson. His teaching companion and club member David Hatch also received acknowledgement for bringing the most green fee entrants to the swindle. Chris Hutber attended the most swindles and Justin Shore accepted a “good sport” prize on behalf of his delightful wife Claire. Finally there was a prize for the best “Posh Boy” accent which was shared magnanimously between David Griffith and Robert Frew.
This season is now over but our sister 10-hole competition the “Friday Fling” will start at 12pm on Friday 4th October 2019. I hope to see you all there.
--Flasha (The Chief Swindler)
2019 End of Summer Swindle winners included Justin Shore, David Griffith, James Sanderson, Liam Russell, Emma Pope, Robert Frew, Chris Hutber, and Jez Warren
Friday Fling Winter Swindle 2018-19 Results
The Friday Fling Winter Swindle for 2018-19 concluded with a grey but pleasant day for 33 participants playing 10 holes of golf on Wimbledon Common, followed by much merriment in the clubhouse at the End of Winter party. Swindle Master Paul Willatts flung the prizes for the day's competition and for the season overall. Pictured left-to-right:
- Brian Jackson: co-winner of the final fling.
- Roger Tarling: most attendances of the season.
- Dave Harnden: third place for the season.
- Mike Hickson: biggest discrepancy between games: 27 points in one and 10 points in another.
- Ned Gaffney: Player of the Year. Say no more! ("Only 360 days before Paddy's Day")
- Maggie Harris: co-runner-up in the final fling.
- Stephen Aldred: co-winner of the final fling.
- David Griffith: Mr. Consistency for the season.
Not captured in photo above but winning prizes were:
- Jackie Reiss: Leading Lady: most attending and most points-winning.
- Rob Howley: runner up for the season.
- Martha Hernandez: co-runner-up of the final fling.